Thursday, October 2, 2008

Land Of A Million Stereotypes

Louisiana natives are very sensitive when it comes to that old stereotype of us being dumb, alligator-wrestling, dip spitting rednecks. People seem to think that we ride pirogues to work every day just to pay for the food to sustain our pet gators.

But, sometimes (most times) we perpetuate those same stereotypes. For instance, my Mom, a social worker, was at a conference for the day – at a casino. Yes, a work day at a casino/hotel. It just so happens to be one of the better hotels in the region, so they hold conferences there. God Bless Louisiana.

Mom wanted me to meet her there for lunch. I hadn’t visited this particular casino in a while and they had renovated part of it and opened a new hotel since my last trip home. The sliding glass doors zip open and I stroll right into a living, breathing stereotype. Right in the middle of the hotel lobby were about two dozen living alligators.

No wonder people think we worship the scaly-skinned reptiles. We have a gang of them planted right smack in the middle of the quintessential “nice” hotel in Central Louisiana. Their habitat is surrounded by the hotel shops and restaurants.

With that said, I couldn’t help but take these pictures and sit and stare at them for about 30 minutes. They aren’t a bad idea and they are surely buzz-worthy. They even have gator shows every Saturday – inside the hotel lobby. I’m serious, that’s no joke. A wrangler brings out raw chicken and feeds the beasts in front of hotel patrons.

Welcome to Louisiana – land of a million true-to-life stereotypes.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you obsessed with gators? LOL :)

Anonymous said...

Is this at Paragon? WOW!

Raymond Owens said...

I thought all you guys were just gator wrassling rednecks...