It was one year ago today, that a 600 pound alligator attacked a man at Lake Moultrie. The man was lucky, he survived, but he lost his arm in the horrific and bloody attack.I remember interviewing his son after the attack. I asked the son about his thoughts on gator hunting in the state. At the time, there was a huge debate about enacting the first hunting season in decades. The man and his family said they love nature and didn’t blame the creature.
Well here we are a year later and gator hunting season is a reality. Saturday marked the first day of gator season in South Carolina. One of the first big bags came from a guy in Summerville – and this thing is a monster.

After hooking the gargantuan 12-foot gator, Mark Merting fought for 3 and a half hours before bringing it in.
Merting snagged this beast in the same lake as the attacking gator from last year. I for one will never swim in Lake Moultrie after seeing these pictures.
Here are a few more pictures from the original gator attack. I just want to warn you that they are extremely graphic. They show the arm in the gator’s mouth and that appendage being removed from the animal’s stomach.
Picture 1
Picture 2
You can see even more pictures at Corday Taxidermy's website.
Here are a few of the most impressive.

2 comments:
OMG that thing is HUGE! I had no idea those things got that big.
I remember when that guy had his arm bitten off.
I have never seen anything like that in my life. I would love reeling in a gator like that. I don't know about swimming in that lake. I would rather run with the bulls. At least you can see them coming for you.
Post a Comment