Monday, September 1, 2008

Gustav: Updates From Louisiana

I just spoke with my parents in Alexandria and a few friends who say all is well there for now. The rain and wind increase hourly. They have been without power for about an hour. They are expecting to get the worst tonight around 6:00 Central Standard Time and then Gustav will supposedly stall over the area for a while dumping gallons of rain. But, with Gustav weakening a bit, it shouldn't get too bad!

Ed in Leesville is keeping a great Video Blog as Gustav creeps closer to them. I’ve been in contact with him and I’ll post his videos as they come in. It’s really starting to come down in Vernon Parish, but nothing too bad at this point.




There is also another update from New Orleans Metblogs. They have an interesting take on the media coverage of the weather in New Orleans. Keep in mind, the writers are still in the city and are watching it all unfold. They seem to feel the storm is being misrepresented.



Richard at New Orleans Metblogs says,

I really wish CNN would stop running the headline “FLOODWATERS OVERTOP INDUSTRIAL CANAL LEVEE IN NEW ORLEANS”. The water is very high in the canal, and some water is blowing over the top, so maybe it’s semantic, but “overtop” sounds a little more dire and hysteria-inducing than necessary at the moment. Attention, CNN: we are already hysterical enough,
thankyouverymuch. Also, CNN: I am within five blocks of your offices right now. Do not make me come down there.


And more…

Fellow Gustav-watchers: if you haven’t already done so, may I suggest ditching Anderson Cooper for a while (we’ll be back, sweetie!) and getting your news from WWL TV instead? Dennis and Angela are smart, sanguine, and storm-savvy. Also, they know full well how to pronounce “New Orleans”, which you’d have thought everyone on Planet Earth learned a couple of years ago, but
apparently not.

My college bud and former ABC26 co-worker, Joni, is working for WWL now. Good work Jones!

That’s it for now. It’s been a super busy day at work and we're starting to move into Hurricane Hanna mode. I’ll have more when I get home.

No comments: