Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Juggling Hurricanes

It’s been a long day. I had a few computer issues today, thus the lack of update. Everything is taken care of now and I will be back on a regular posting schedule tomorrow.

I spent the day at the Charleston County Emergency Operations Center and that’s where I will reside for the next day or so while Hanna does its thing. There was a lot of down time today as the projected point of impact continually moved. The closer we get to Friday’s landfall, the busier we will get there.

Most of my down time was spent on the phone with Central Louisiana. Gustav has been stalled there for the last two days; dumping an ungodly amount of rain. They experienced what many are calling the worst flooding in the history of the region. We’re talking the Louisiana National Guard taking people from their flooded homes. That never happens to us. My parents are on day three of having no electricity.

I spent the day getting reports from home and juggling what’s going on around here. I have a job to do, so home had to take a back seat during press conferences and live shots. I must admit, it made me extremely irritable and short tempered – even more than usual.

My Mom and one of my best friends called and texted most of the day. Though I was worried, it did connect me to them while all that was going on.

Sorry it took me so long to update the blog today, but I needed a break. I came home, grabbed a quick bite to eat (low carb of course) and watched the two hours Top Model season premiere. Tyra, Jay and I forgot all about hurricanes for a little while. I needed that little vacation and now I’m back. Game on!

I will post updates from the EOC to the blog all day tomorrow. We will know more about a possible voluntary evacuation then. I don’t know that it will come to that, but the city leaders and officials keep bringing it up. I’m set up with a lap top, so I can instantly blog all the latest information.

My biggest challenge this week: Saying “E-O-C” during my live shots. It’s called the “O-E-P” in Rapides Parish, Louisiana and I’ve said that for years. Watch closely and you will actually see me think about it before every mention.

No comments: