Monday, September 8, 2008

Too Old For MTV?

So, I watched the Video Music Awards last night and I feel like MTV has made a fool of me. Luckily I TIVOed the show so I was able to fast forward through everything other than the performances and awards presentations.

I tuned in for one reason and one reason only – Britney Spears. I gave her such a hard time for her last VMA appearance that I felt obligated to see what she had up her pink little sleeves this time. She basically got on stage and said “hey ya’ll… it’s time for the VMAs!” Then she sat down and called it a night. Anticlimactic at best.

Either I’ve gotten old or music has gotten crappy. I think it’s probably a healthy mixture of both. I love a good club banger when I’m out with friends, but is Britney Spears’ “Piece of Me” really the best video of the year? Has it really come to that?

Remember the days when REM’s “Losing My Religion,” Sinead O’Connor’s “Nothing Compares 2 U” and Van Halen’s “Right Now” were Video of the Year? Now that’s what I call best of the best. Go back and look at past video of the year winners and tell me what you think.

I may be 30 now, but looking at that list, it seems VMA voters have forsaken their discerning taste for the flavor of the month.

Side note: Rihanna is amazingly entertaining. Jordin Sparks, as much as I love her, needs to lighten up.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just friendly banter...difference of opinions...

I actually liked what Jordin Sparks said! She found an amusing way to not necessarily say, "Hey! I'm a virgin," but to commend someone who chooses to be. Therefore, you don't know if the host struck a personal nerve with her, or if she was just encouraging the Jonas Brothers.

In Hollywood, you better NOT comment on someone being homosexual. And you better NOT be racist or sexist. And you sure better NOT rub Kanye West the wrong way. *ha,ha* However, it is okay to spend an entire show harping on a couple of kids who choose to wear 'promise rings'?!?

Don't get me wrong, when it comes to standup comedy I do not feel that anything is off limits. You have to lighten up and be willing to laugh at yourself. I can laugh at a George Bush joke just like everyone else. However, Russell Brand took his "chasity" jokes too far, I think. He went beyond funny, into vendicitve and annoying. It was funny for a while, and then he just kept on and on and on and on....

As a final note, the VMAs were so disappointing. This was the 25-year anniversary. What happened to all the surprise performances and surprise guests that they once gave us? There was nothing very surprising or overwhelming about this year. I stayed up and watched the whole thing, hoping for something really "cool" to happen. Maybe I am getting old, but I didn't enjoy the show. And Russell Brand was funny on the promos, but drove me crazy as the host.

Larry said...

We’ll agree on one front… Russell Brand was insufferably bland and boring.

The thing about these kinds of shows, you have to come with your thick Hollywood skin on. Show hosts are going to go after you if they think it will get a laugh – cheap laugh or not. George Michael’s gay-scapades in a public park, Paris Hilton’s sex tape and the Jonas Brothers are equally fair game.

I actually like the idea of the younger set saving themselves for marriage. There are a lot of scary things they can get themselves into by making bad choices these days. But, in the same breath, comedy is comedy. Sometimes you just have to sit back and laugh.

Some jokes are funny, some are meant to be funny -- but bomb and some are just mean-spirited. I think Russell’s Jonas Bros. jokes just bombed.

I didn’t find the promise ring jokes funny in the least. I had actually forgotten about them until Jordin brought it up again.

I just wish she would have spent that time explaining to me why her name is spelled Jordin with an “I” – now that’s what I want to know.

Keep the comments coming! I love constructive conversation especially when we have different view points.

Side bar:
This is what I found as Russell’s funniest joke of the night…

He was talking about the Sarah Palin situation.

“And I feel most sorry for that poor teenaged father. Boy. One minute, he’s just a teenaged lad in Alaska having joyful, unprotected sex. And the next minute: Get to the Republican convention. I think that is the best safe sex message of all time. Use a condom or become Republican!”