Thursday, August 28, 2008

Biden Steals The Show -- Beau Biden That Is

For the first time, I think I know Joe Biden. I recognize his character and appreciate more about him as a man. Sen. Biden owes that to his son, Beau.

Beau was the most articulate and poignant speaker tonight, and that includes Bill Clinton. Beau painted a picture of a man you can’t help but love – a man dedicated to his family – vulnerable but intrepid. He made us all wish that Joe Biden was our father. I even bet he convinced thousands to forget that they wanted Hillary Clinton as the VP candidate.

Most introductions at the convention were throw-away speeches; even Carolyn Kennedy’s tribute to her uncle. Beau out-shined his father, who succumbed to nerves at the podium. Beau connected us to Joe Biden. Asking us to take care of his dad was an honest and humble nod to a man who was willing to sacrifice everything for his boys.

From this day forward, I will always think of Joe Biden as the young man taking the Oath of Office next to his son’s hospital bed mere days after his wife and daughter died in a car accident. How can that not move you? Michelle Obama and Jill Biden were not the only ones with tears in their eyes.


Here’s the intro. Go to 4:09 on the video timeline to hear Beau introduce Joe Biden. I think we met a future Senator tonight.




No comments: