Monday, August 25, 2008

How Ted Kennedy Changed My Life

While everyone else in the world blogs about Michelle Obama tonight, I’m going to spend some time on a man who is possibly collectively the most effective man in the history of the Senate – Ted Kennedy.

So many bash Kennedy, but his draft marks are evident in the blueprint of this country. He came at a time when this nation needed men like him most. He fought for human rights and equality. He continues doing so, being bold enough to include gay men and women in his speech tonight.

Did he make mistakes - yes. He faced controversy and tragedy as frequently as he enjoyed his privilege and always rose to the occasion in both disaster and delight.

I will be the first to admit that I was one those people teary-eyed while I watched the last of the Kennedy boys take the stage in Denver tonight. With his brain cancer, this very well could be his last convention and the tribute to this great man was quite fitting.

I will always be a defender of Teddy Kennedy, not only as a prolific politician but as a fine human being. You see, I have a personal story with the senator and it changed my life. I owe a great deal of who I am to the senior senator from Massachusetts.

I first met Ted years ago as a cub reporter in a little Louisiana town. He was at the Louisiana Political Museum to induct a relative of his wife. We didn’t normally get such important dignitaries in our little corner of the world.

When the Senator pulled up at the event, I was the only reporter outside. My photographer called my attention to his arrival and I stood there stunned. How could I ever walk up to a Kennedy and ask for an interview? He is a part of Camelot. His brothers are John and Robert Kennedy. American history was standing in front of me. I was afraid to bother him.

Senator Kennedy looked over at me and smiled. He started walking toward the entrance; paused and turned to me. He quietly whispered, “would you like to talk to me?” He let me off the hook.

We finished up the interview and he shook my hand and told me “good job… good questions.” My life as a reporter changed in that moment. Ted made himself available and taught me that he was just like me -- human. He was willing to stop his entrance to talk to the young reporter who was shy and a little out of place. In that moment he gave me permission to be bold -- to make moves.

It was because of Ted Kennedy that I was able to march up to Bill Clinton with a microphone and interview him while his handlers where trying to move him along. It is because of Ted Kennedy that I am able to hold the mighty accountable on a daily basis. He taught me that public servants are here to serve the public. One of the most heralded men in politics took time to teach a “kid” from Louisiana.

So, no matter what they say about him, he will always hold a special place in my heart. I will never forget that night and if one day I must hold him accountable for some wrong doing or odd vote, I know that I can. I know that he would expect nothing less from that young man he whispered to all those years ago.

Thank you Senator Kennedy.




Tribute video that aired during the convention






Sen. Kennedy's Speech




Now back to the convention and Michelle Obama.

No comments: