Friday, August 29, 2008

That Damn Gustav

The latest models for Hurricane Gustav have literally formed knots in my stomach. The National Hurrricane Center has moved the path further west and right over my home town. That thin purple line is running right through the place where my parents, 95% of my family and most of my friends live.

We had a lengthy discussion about Hurricane Katrina today because of the anniversary. I don’t usually talk about those days – it’s all still a little raw even three years later.

I learned things in those days that I never wanted to know and never needed to know… that the smell of death sticks in your nostrils long after you’ve walked away and even the happiest people have their breaking points in tragedy. I learned that last lesson when my old Public Information Officer committed suicide after he lost hope – stuck and forgotten down there.

I learned that two things happen to people when they are faced with such dire situations. Some people rise to the occasion and band together while others revert to savagery and desperation. Both are instincts of survival and given the situation, I can’t really blame anyone for choosing either. Maybe the circumstance chooses for you.

I’d lie if I said I’m not worried about all those I left behind in Louisiana. If it hits the coast as a nasty category 4 monster, by the time it reaches my family, it could still be a vengeful category 2 storm. I wish I was there, just to not feel so powerless.

To my friends and former co-workers in New Orleans – my heart is with you. And to my family and closest friends in Central Louisiana – you know I would be there if I could.

No comments: