Saturday, August 23, 2008

Obama VP Announcement: Wake Up Voters!

The Democratic VP watch is officially over and as expected Senator Joe Biden is Barack’s Number 2.

I woke up this morning expecting another day of sitting with my cell phone in hand waiting. I thought the announcement text message would come at around Noon or so. Imagine my surprise when I saw a message from the Obama camp waiting there innocently looking up at me from my inbox. They sent the freaking message out at 3 in the morning!

Text message:
Barack has chosen Senator Joe Biden to be our VP nominee. Watch the first Obama-Biden rally live at 3pm ET on http://www.barackobama.com/. Spread the word!


Couldn’t that have waited until at least sunrise?

Talk about killing a moment. 75% of his supporters were sound asleep when he made the biggest announcement since his declaration of candidacy. I just don’t get it. He has guys on staff who make a lot of money to make these decisions and I have no doubt that they are much more intelligent in these matters, but something just doesn't seem right about that decision.

Maybe it’s some kind of “wake up call for change.” Who knows? It did wake a lot of people from a good sleep. One guy on Flickr wrote, “If that s**t woke me up, Obama would be getting the phone shoved where the sun don't shine!” Sure he’s exaggerating a bit, but you get the idea.

Here’s a funny theory on a blog… Obama made the announcement at 3 AM in response to the Clinton Ads about trusting Obama with that 3 AM phone call. Remember the Ad? Was the annoucement a little tongue-in-cheek?





The kids over at MSNBC have some interesting thoughts on the Biden choice, The Hillary Backlash and how the early morning wake up call was met in their offices.

The McCain camp is quick on the draw with a new ad. They go after Biden for saying in 2005 that he would be honored to run for President with McCain.





Mr. McCain you're up -- please no 3 AM phone calls or texts when you decide.

2 comments:

Raymond Owens said...

Larry,

They HAD to send it out at 3AM... it was confirmed by CNN at around 1AM (which all news2 twitter followers knew moments later:)

Larry said...

LOL... this is true.

That media leak may have pushed things up a bit.

And yes... Joining the News 2 twitter is a MUST! I'm a follower.

http://www.twitter.com/news2

Is it considered Spam if I do it on my own blog? ;-)